Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Food, glorious food!

Well, we have a food decision, folks!  Yes, that's right, we know who will be providing our scrumptious wedding meal.  We had a few criteria, of course, that went into our catering decision.  First, our food needed to be affordable, because we're expecting 200+ guests.  Second, it needed to be elegant and yummy.  Third, we wanted it to make use of local, seasonally-available food.  Fourth, we wanted to do something a little unconventional, a little offbeat.  What did we come up with?  I present...... Skillet Streetfood!
 

How does Skillet work, you ask?  The owner, Josh, met me at a bar near my workplace, bought me a beer, and told me all about how they like to do things. 

Here's the rundown:  Skillet will show up at our wedding in their airstream trailer, set up a temporary kitchen, and get to work making the most delectable grub you can imagine.  The wedding meal will be served family style, with large platters being passed around each table, which I think will add to the down home feel of our ranch wedding.  One of my favorite points- Skillet willl stick around to serve breakfast the next morning!!!!  I've had their food, multiple times, for lunch- they're a mobile street food vendor in Seattle, and on Mondays they set up camp in my neighborhood.  I'm DELIGHTED about being able to eat their yummies at our wedding.   

Another benefit of working with Skillet:  The possibility of doing a wedding photo in front of their beautiful airstream, like this one from one of my favorite-ever weddings featured on Once Wed: 




In addition to crafting amazing food, Skillet has been easy to work with so far (another big plus).  They are very willing to accommodate our meal choices (we're going vaguely Kosher style, chicken and fish but no red meat, pork or shellfish), and they are very flexible regarding our desire to purchase/ serve our own alcohol.  Also, a few other things I love about them:  they don't automatically include gratuity; rather, they like to "earn" it and leave it up to us; also, they are more than willing to help us secure rentals (tables, chairs, etc.) and won't charge a markup. 

Here are some pictures of their scrumptious yummies (a burger, even though we won't be doing burgers from them, just to give you a tasty sneak-peek): 







No comments:

Post a Comment